Sunday 5 September 2010

A Sunday Afternoon


I went to the Glebe Antique Fair today and after that back to Justin's place for some serious ogling at his impressive collection of locks, keys and other interesting things of similar nature.

Can anyone tell me if they've seen a key like this before?

I can't imagine quite how the sides having different cuts on them would actually function in a lock, but there is no question this in authentic key.

Any ideas?



Man it's that time of year where I wish I was going to LockCon. Although I was invited to go to the safecracking party held by Barry Wels (TOOOL & BlackBag Blog), that was when I lived in Europe and now I am back in Australia, that's one of the many forfeits I make in order to live here again - not being able to go to one of their awesome safe opening parties. 24+ hrs on a plane seems a bit much travel.

3 comments:

Alex said...

Double sided lever lock keys aren't uncommon in Europe. There are two ways they can work - either with levers on both sides which act at once (see Mersey lock on blackbag) or more simply the same lever pack is lifted twice once with each half turn of the key. In your photo the central step is high on both sides and throws the bolt. The remainder of the key is anti-symmetric - if you cut one side off it would 'fit' into the centre of the other side if the central step was removed - this allows manufacturers to use the same lever in the lock flipped for two combinations. Secondly the biting is symmetric from one end to the other indicating that its probably for a door lock which needs to be opened from either side (safe keys have no need to be symmetric)

LockChick said...

Thanks Alex - yes I have a Mersey Lock & working key (UK Dept of Defence lock with a NATO number etc). I hadn't thought there could be similarities!

Toby said...

Looks like something from space invaders!